Woodland Explorer Details
WOODLAND EXPLORER RESIDENTIAL COURSE DETAILS
An exciting and fun THREE day residential woodland experience for 8 - 14 year olds. The days will be an inspiring mix of bushcraft, greenwood carving, fire lighting, natural arts and crafts, woodland games, shelter building, tracking, storytelling and adventure. An opportunity for children to deepen their connection with nature in a stunning Lakeland setting.
TIMINGS: The course runs between 9.30am on Day One to 4pm on Day Three including 2 nights accommodation in shelters built by the Woodland Explorers!
VENUE: Common Wood, Windermere. Grid Reference: SD 418 992
The wood is part of The National Trust St Catherine’s Estate and lies 1km north north east from Windermere station. Full details of drop and pick up points will be sent out in the week prior to the course.
The areas of activities covered include:
- Fire Lighting: We will learn a range of different fire lighting techniques - without matches! This will include friction fire lighting with a bow drill, fire steels and maybe even using the sun if we’re lucky with the weather! We will experiment with a variety of natural tinders. Participants will learn about safe use of fire and good fire camp craft.
- Green wood carving: We will learn safe knife use and will work on a range of useful and fun whittling projects over the 3 days.
- Shelter Building: Learn various different shelter designs and techniques. You'd better make it good because you will be sleeping in it for the whole course!
- Tracking: Learning the basics of tracking animals. We will learn to identify prints, droppings and other signs such as hair, teeth marks, burrows of the common animals found in our woodlands.
- Nature Awareness: Deepen connections with nature using awareness games, barefoot walking and good old chilling out leaning against a tree.
- Arts and Crafts: A variety of projects including natural cordage and charcoal drawing.
- Nature ID: With the aim of being able to identify a broad range of trees and plants found in British woodland along with their uses and folklore.
- Campfire Cooking: Over the week we will make lots of different campfire treats to keep us sustained! All our meals will be cooked on the fire.
- Games and storytelling: Lots of games to support everything we’re learning and just to have fun and a run around. Storytelling around the campfire.
ACCOMMODATION: The Woodland Explorers will build their own group shelters to sleep in from wooden poles and tarpaulins.
KIT LIST: Equipment you will need to bring is listed below. Please remember to pack your bags in a way that can be carried. Please can you label all your kit with your name.
Welly boots AND walking boots/ strong footwear (if it is very hot you may bring sandals however you will still need a closed toe shoe and wellies as well)
Some spare clothes
Woolly hat and sunhat
*Please do not send tools, whittling or pocket knives with your child we will provide all the tools required.*
OVERNIGHT KIT LIST :
Sleeping Bag (and second sleeping bag or blankets if your sleeping bag is thin)
Camping mat or Thermarest
Spare torch batteries
(Glow sticks are sometimes a good idea if you child is nervous in the dark.)
Wash kit incl small towel if you require
Anything specific to you - medication, favourite bedtime toys etc
Plate, bowl, cup, spoon, fork, knife per person (Named please)
Additional food if required – see below
N.B. If there is something you don’t have from this list, please let us know and we may be able to help
Tools: All tools will be provided. Please do not send your child with any penknives or sharp tools. This means that we know how many sharp tools are on site and where they are.
The course is fully catered. We will provide breakfast lunch and dinner. We will also provide drinking water, fruit cordials, hot drinks, snacks and biscuits as needed. Please bring along any additional snacks and food you think you may need. All our meals will be cooked on the campfire. (see separate menu sheet to be sent nearer the time).
TOILETS: There is a basic toilet and hand washing facilities on site.